The APEX Equity Collective
We are thrilled to build on the grassroots organizing campaign of the APEX Project. Throughout the APEX Project, we worked to build a community-driven policy platform to guide our work to achieve equity in our schools. Equity is about working to ensure that every child in our county, no matter their zip code or background, gets the resources and support that they need to be successful. During our conversations, two things were apparent:
Our communities love our kids. And they’re ready to take action.
Now is the time for action. Using the ten APEX Policy Platform priority areas, we are starting the implementation phase of our work, The Equity Collective. The Equity Collective will be comprised of five teams focused on turning community ideas into reality. The Equity Collective Teams, and the Policy Platform priority areas that they represent, are as follows:
- RACIAL AND SOCIOECONOMIC DESEGREGATION:
- The Hamilton County Department of Education must develop a plan to end socioeconomic and racial segregation.
- Community members must demand the end of socioeconomic and racial segregation.
- FUNDING AND BUDGETING:
- Elected officials must provide funds to make all school facilities safe and healthy learning spaces, and there must be a long term plan to keep them that way.
- There must be funding to recruit, support, and keep the best teachers.
- SUPPORTING THE PEOPLE IN OUR SCHOOLS:
- Schools must ensure that students and teachers have a voice in issues that matter to them to support better relationships and engagement.
- Central office must work to ensure that teaching and programs provide personalized support, especially to those with special needs and minority identities (like English-language learners and LGBTQ+ students).
- SUPPORTING THE WHOLE CHILD:
- Schools must work to ensure student mental and emotional health needs must be supported.
- Community organizations must work to ensure children can access mentoring, field trips, and early childhood education.
- COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT AND EMPOWERMENT
- Parents and community members must embrace opportunities to support schools and children.
- Local organizations and businesses must support and provide resources in our schools.
UnifiEd is working now to ensure that each of these Equity Collective Teams is launched with a core group of community leaders. Starting in April and May, these teams will be open to the whole public.
In order to stay plugged into the APEX Project before The Equity Collective teams launch, please do the following:
- Sign up to join one of The Equity Collective’s teams. We’ll be in touch with next steps.
- Sign up to receive UnifiEd email updates. We are keeping up our work in your communities so stay tuned for local opportunities to engage.
- Check out The Apex Project Report.
- Contact us at email@example.com if you have questions or want to learn more.