APEX Steering Committee
Application deadline is Friday, August 11!
The APEX Steering Committee will serve as organizers, neighborhood leaders, and the voice of the community to create a policy that addresses equity issues across Hamilton County’s education system.
Through the Project, we plan to:
- Learn together with you about Hamilton County’s community and school history
- Hear directly from you about your experiences with inequity
- Talk honestly with people of diverse experiences and ideas to identify common issues
- Facilitate conversations in your community and across communities about our schools
- Build a policy that addresses the issues impacting our schools, while providing areas to hold our elected officials accountable within
The Steering Committee will be composed of individuals that represent the diversity of identities and experiences in our county. It will be the community partner to UnifiEd’s work to ensure transparency and accountability in our process of moving from community conversations to a proposed policy platform. Committee members will work alongside our team to ensure that the ideas and experiences of the community are represented fully in the demands we make to our elected officials.
All community members who are interested in this project are encouraged to apply! You do not have to be an educator or parent to apply, and you don’t need any special knowledge about the education system or equity issues. We will provide all the background information you need through training workshops. Your expertise is your own experience living in this community!
The application deadline is Friday, August 11 at 12:00 PM. Selections will be made by the end of August.
COMMITTEE MEMBER EXPECTATIONS
Applicants chosen to sit on the Steering Committee will undertake the following work during the six months of their tenure (September 2017 – February 2018).
- Complete the two-part “Building Power for Change” training workshop series to understand historical and social context of how Hamilton County’s schools have arrived where they are today.
- Host an EdTalk community meeting in your neighborhood by Dec. 1.
- Visit at least two schools by Dec. 1 (one near where you live and one that is very different from your neighborhood school).
- Participate in at least one day of the mobile interactive exhibit to collect community feedback on proposed policy recommendations by February 2.
- Digital review of shared reports and data analysis that will lead to official policy recommendation.
- Attend at least 8 of the 10 scheduled committee meetings.
APEX PROJECT TIMELINE
Monday, July 17 – Application posted
Tuesday, August 1 (5:30 PM) – APEX Project launch event
Friday, August 11 (12:00 PM) – Steering committee application deadline
Friday, August 18 – Steering committee applicants notified of their status
Wednesday, August 23 (12:00 PM) – Accepted committee applicants notify UnifiEd of their commitment
Tuesday, September 5 (6 – 8:00 PM) – Steering committee on-boarding, Part 1
Tuesday, September 19 (6 – 8:00 PM) – Steering committee on-boarding, Part 2
Tuesday, October 3 (6 – 8:00 PM) – Steering committee meeting
Tuesday, October 17 (6 – 8:00 PM) – Steering committee meeting
Saturday, November 4 (10:00 AM – 2:00 PM) – Steering committee data analysis meeting
Tuesday, December 5 (6 – 8:00 PM) – Steering committee review initial proposed policy recommendations
Wednesday, December 13 through Friday, December 22 – Community design bus tour (mobile interactive exhibit) – Phase 1
Friday, January 19 (4-7:00 PM) – Community design bus tour – Phase 2; Welcome back party
Friday, January 19 – Friday, January 26 – Community design bus tour – Phase 2
Wednesday, January 31 (6-8:00 PM) – Steering committee review final policy recommendations
Wednesday, February 1 – Final APEX Project Policy made public
A $1000 stipend will be provided in recognition of steering committee members’ time and effort to meet the stated expectations. A $100 gas stipend is also provided. These will be paid half in late fall 2017, and half at the completion of the project in early 2018.