In this edition of UnifiEd’s School Board Watch Blog, we will take a look at the agenda for the January 18th, 2018 regularly scheduled session of the Hamilton County School Board Meeting. The meeting will be held in the Hamilton County School Board Meeting Room at 3074 Hickory Valley Road and is set to begin at 5:30 PM. We will share the livestream video of the meeting on Facebook and post the video on this blog after the meeting.
To see the entire agenda with supporting documents click here.
- Second and Final Reading of Board Policy 6.203: School Admissions– Due to changes in state law referencing the provision of social security numbers, it is necessary to revise the current policy on School Admissions. The revised policy no longer requires any student entering school for the first time to present their social security numbers.
- Budget Calendar– The School Board will be presenting the budget calendar for FY2019.
Recognitions and Presentations:
- The Hamilton County Department of Education will recognize seven students as National Merit Semi Finalists. These students qualified for recognition based on their performances on the Preliminary SAT.
- The National Council for the Social Studies will recognize Erin Glenn for winning the annual “Outstanding Middle Level Teacher of the Year”.
- Dr. Bryan Johnson will present a retreat follow-up to the Hamilton County School Board.
- Students from CSLA’s robotics team will attend the VEX IQ Tournament
- East Hamilton School, Signal Mountain Middle/High School, and Sale Creek Middle/High School will all participate in youth in government field trips.
- East Hamilton School, East Ridge High School, and Soddy Daisy High School will all participate in music-related field trips.
- Twenty-four students enrolled in JROTC at Red Bank High School will attend the 7th Brigade Academic/Rifle/Drill Championships.
- Signal Mountain Middle/High School and Soddy Daisy High School will participate in science-related field trips.
- Students from Big Ridge Elementary will travel to Rock Eagle to participate in science.
- Seventeen students from Hixson High School, East Hamilton Middle School / High School, and Ooltewah High School will participate in the Special Olympics Winter Games in Gatlinburg, TN.
Board approval is sought for:
- The purchase of a website Content Management System which would encompasses the district website, school websites, and individual teacher pages. The content management system will replace the existing HCDE website content management system. Year one with this system totals $82,240.00 and the two following years will cost $60,040.00 per year. Funds will come from the General Purpose Budget.
- The purchase of HVAC Gas Packs for CSAS and Ooltewah Middle Schools totalling $124, 916.00 from the Maintenance and Capital Funds budget.
- The Coalition of Large Area School Systems (CLASS) retainer agreement with Millaps Gowan Government Relations regarding HCDE’s continued membership in the CLASS group. This will total an annual cost of $37,500.00.
- A payment of $6,789.53 to Chattanooga Electric Supply due to a fire at Spring Creek Elementary.
- Board approval is needed to amend the FY18 General Purpose Operating Budget for transfers between accounts. Requests include transfers for information services, Exceptional Ed. System Wide, and Capital Technology.
- The following budget amendments for Federal Grants and Self-Funded Programs for FY2018 are recommended for board approval:
- Carl Perkins Vocational Grant, with a net increase of $29,249 covering areas such as vocational instruction, student support, and vocational instructional staff support.
- Flower Fund Self-Funded Program, totaling $8,101 for salaries.
- Supplemental Salaries Self-Funded Program, with a net increase of $38,590 to cover items like instruction and student support.
- Additional Approval is sought for:
- Appropriating the fund balance previously committed for Capital Maintenance projects in the amount of $5,000,000.00. These funds will be used for Capital maintenance and repair projects as established in conjunction with County bond funds.
- Hixson High School’s grant application for a Joint Use Indoor Marksmanship Range (Funded by National Rifle Association for $675,000).
- Opportunity Zone Schools’ grant application for Teach to One: Math (Funded by UNUM for $200,000 per year for five (5) years).
- Human Resources will present their proposed revised Differential Pay Plan originally approved at the June 2017 Board meeting. The changes do not impact the budget but re-allocate the funds initially for 2017-18 performance bonuses that are no longer going to be used. In an effort to make us more competitive when seeking the best talent, the district would like to re-utilize the funds for signing bonuses for hard-to-staff subject areas in Title Schools. These include Physics, Chemistry, 7-12 Mathematics, self-contained Special Education classes, and Speech Language Pathologists.
Administrative and Business Matters:
- Two parents have requested the Hamilton County Board of Education review their sons’ zero tolerance suspension appeal decision.
- Legal Services: A total of $24,418.30 was paid in the month of December for legal fees to Leitner, Williams, Dooley & Napolitan PLLC and the Markel Firm.
- January 29, 2018 – March 9, 2018 – Schools choose one extended day (3.5 School Board Meeting hours) for Parent-Teacher Conferences (SECOND half of Administrative In-Service #6)
- February 15, 2018 – Thursday School Board Meeting