July 2017 School Board Meeting Agenda
In this edition of UnifiEd’s School Board Watch Blog, we will take a look at the agenda for the July 20 regularly scheduled session of the Hamilton County School Board Meeting. The meeting will be held in the Hamilton County School Board Meeting Room at 3074 Hickory Valley Road and is set to begin at 5:30 PM. We will live tweet @UnifiEdHC, follow along at #HCSchools.
To see the entire agenda with supporting documents, click here.
- Board Policy 3.202 Emergency Preparedness Plan- First Reading: Due to changes in state law, it is necessary to revise our current policy on Emergency Preparedness Plan order to correct the fire and intruder drill information. The old policy stated that one fire drill requiring full evacuation shall be given every month during the school year, with an additional fire drill to be conducted within the first fifteen (15) days of operation. The new policy states that an additional fire drill is to be conducted within the first thirty (30) days of operation.
Recognitions and Presentations:
- Karen Glenn will be presenting the Year End Bullying Compliance Report. 615 incidents were reported for the school year of 2016-2017. 979 staff members participated in Olweus Bullying Prevention/Restorative Practices Professional Development. 1072 students participated in student trainings including Youth Summit, Move2Stand, Youth Conference, and Peer Mediation. There were 157 attendees at community/parent forums including the Hixson Community Forum, Delta Kappa Gamma, and the Latino Faith Leaders TASSW Conference.
- Board approval is sought for revised contracts for independent contractors and HCDE employees who are independent contractors for the 2017-18 school year. Scott Bennett has reviewed these contracts.
- Dr. Lee McDade will be giving a presentation regarding CLASS.
- Ezra Harris will be speaking on behalf of the Woodmore Community.
- Central High School, Ooltewah High School, and Tyner Academy will send students to participate in camps.
- Thirty-five students enrolled in an AP Program at East Hamilton School will travel to Cocoa Beach, Florida.
- Forty-two students enrolled in eighth grade at Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts will travel to Washington, D.C.
- Twelve members of the Hixson High School volleyball team will travel to Gatlinburg, Tennessee to compete in the Rocky Top Classic.
- One student enrolled in tenth grade at STEM School Chattanooga will travel to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to attend the Civic Action Conference.
Board approval is sought for:
- Contracts to Furnish Propane Fuel and to Furnish & Install Fencing with funds coming from the Operating/Maintenance and Capital Projects Budgets.
- Contract Extension for Telecommunication Cabling Infrastructure Installation totaling $885,050.00.
- Contract for Dish Machine Chemicals, Ware-Washing and Sanitation for the School Nutrition Program totaling 98,639.30 with funds provided by the School Nutrition Budget.
- Contract for Dr. Adams, Medical Consultant for school year 2017-2018 totaling $10,000 per school year with funds provided by School Health Program Department.
- The Athletic Trainer Service Agreement with Benchmark Physical Therapy for Hixson High School to provide the services of athletic trainers to Hixson High School. Benchmark will be compensated by the school $300 per month, to be paid on the first of the month beginning August 1, 2017 and continuing until the last payment on May 1, 2018.
- The Renewal of Book Systems, Inc.-Atrium totaling $31,795 which will be funded through a self-funded program.
- A three-year subscription Contract with Naviance, Succeed, and E.Docs totaling $44,498.40 per year with funds provided through the GP budget.
- Purchase Annual License, Maintenance and Support with TRA, Inc. totaling $25,236.
- Contract with Stellar Therapy for Nursing & School Health Services at rates of $80.00/hour for a Physician’s Assistant and $160.00/hour for a physician.
- Annual Renewal Fees of International Baccalaureate (IB) at Ooltewah High School ($11,650.00), Signal Mountain High School ($11,147.00), and Signal Mountain Middle School ($9,547.00) totaling $32,344.00 with funds provided by General Purpose Budget.
- Contract to Furnish Food Supplies to Brainerd High School Bistro Restaurant totaling $24,064.18 with funds provided by Brainerd High School Internal Funds.
- Ratification of Emergency Early Approval of Maintenance Renewal for SchoolInSites Web Hosting Agreement Legacy Hosting Package-District Site ($1,200/ July, 2017- June, 2018) and Legacy Hosting Package-71 Schools Sites ($63,900/ July, 2017-June, 2018) totaling $65,100 with funds provided by the IT Department.
- The following teachers have been recommended for reinstatement of tenure: Vanessa Bell, Abby Bryant, Leanne Chesney, Leigh Grady, Michelle Greene, Martha June Hill, Lauren Lindsey, Amanda Pettit-Shaheen, Eric Smith, and Romonda Walker-Word.
- The Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources is recommending one employee to serve as a trustee for the Certified Sick Leave Bank and one employee to serve as a trustee for the Classified Sick Leave Bank. These employees will each serve a three-year term and both have a reputation among their peers for professionalism and confidentiality.
Administrative and Business Matters:
- Board Policy 3.206 Community Use of School Facilities- 2nd and Final Reading: In order to allow school facilities to be used for memorial services, it is necessary to revise the board policy regarding the community use of school facilities. The addition to the current policy states that school facilities may be used for memorial services if approved by the principals. Funeral services are not to be held in school facilities.
- Legal Services: For the month of June, a total of $30,295.26 was spent on legal services from Leitner, Williams, Dooley & Napolitan PLLC and Markel, and Von Kessler & Cox.
- August 3-4, 2017 – Administrative In-Service (School-Based)
- August 7, 2017 – Administrative In-Service (School-Based)
- August 7, 2017 – Registration Day for Students (no classes)
- August 8, 2017 – Administrative In-Service (System-Wide)
- August 9, 2017 – Administrative In-Service (System-Wide)
- August 10, 2017 – First Full Day of School