In this edition of UnifiEd’s School Board Watch Blog, we will take a look at the agenda for the June 15, 2017 (5:30 PM) regularly scheduled session of the Hamilton County School Board Meeting. A special Work Session will be held immediately prior, beginning at 5:00 PM, for the school board to discuss the five finalist candidates for the position of superintendent, which will be voted on during the following regular session.
Both meetings will be held in the Hamilton County School Board Meeting Room (3074 Hickory Valley Rd.). We will live tweet @UnifiEdHC, follow along at #HCSchools.
To see the entire agenda with supporting documents click here.
- The board will discuss superintendent finalist candidates (Dr. Wayne Johnson, Mr. Stuart Greenberg, Dr. Timothy Gadson, Dr. Bryan Johnson, and Dr. Kirk Kelly ) at a Work Session from 5-5:30 PM. They will vote to appoint a permanent superintendent at the beginning of the 5:30 PM regular session. Ballots will be taken until one candidate receives a minimum of five votes.
- The School Nutrition Director is recommending the approval and renewal of the Community Eligibility Provision for the SY 2017-2018. This allows the same 39 schools that are being served this year to provide a meal at no cost to approximately 19, 624 students across the District, which represents 45.2% of total student enrollment.
- Board Policy 1.407 School District Records- Second and Final Reading: The State Board of Education now requires all boards to have a public records policy in place by July 1, 2017. The director of schools must maintain all school district records required by law, regulation, and board policy. This also includes how to handle requests for copies or inspections of district records.
- Board Policy 3.501 Wellness Policy- Second and Final Reading: The 2010 Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act requires each Local Education Agency (LEA) participating in the National School Lunch Program or other child nutrition programs to review our local school wellness policy annually. The revisions include a commitment to nutrition, understanding the connection between health and academic performance, promoting nutrition education, physical activity, and health goals, and the creation of a School Health Advisory Council.
Recognitions and Presentations:
- The Director of Career & Technical Education will recognize Richa Cherukuri for finishing second in the state in the Future Business Leaders of America state competition in the “Introduction to Information Technology” category. She will go on to represent Hamilton County at the FBLA National Conference.
- CSAS, Central High School, Red Bank High School, Signal Mountain Middle High School, Ooltewah High School, and Soddy Daisy High School will participate in competitions.
- East Hamilton School, Sale Creek Middle High School, and Soddy Daisy High School will send students to participate in camps.
- Students from East Hamilton School and Hunter Middle School will travel to Washington, D.C.
- Ooltewah High School will send students to the Republic of Panama for community service.
- Ooltewah High School and East Ridge High School are requesting approval to add the special course “Facing History and Ourselves” to school curriculum.
Board approval is sought for:
- Contract Extension for Solid Waste Collection, Removal, and Disposal totalling $383,988.80 provided by the Operating Budget.
- Contract Extension for Wood Carpet at original bid price coming from the Operating and Capital Projects Budgets.
- Contract to Annually Inspect Wet & Dry Sprinklers, Backflow Devices and Floor Valves Systems with funds coming from the Operating Budget.
- Contracts for Plumbing Projects with funds coming from the Maintenance Budget and Capital Projects Fund.
- Contracts to Furnish Labor & Materials for Sheet Metal & Duct Work Projects with funds provided by the Maintenance Budget and Capital Projects Fund.
- Contracts to Furnish & Install Acoustical Ceiling Grids with funds provided by the Capital Projects Fund and Maintenance Budget.
- Contracts for Drywall Installation & Related Projects with funds from the Maintenance Budget and Capital Projects Fund.
- Contracts for Carpentry Related Projects with funds provided by the Maintenance Budget and Capital Projects Fund.
- Contracts for Masonry Projects with funds from the Maintenance Budget and Capital Projects Funds.
- Contract for Book Fairs with funds coming from the School Operating Budget.
- Contract to Furnish Used Adopted Textbooks & Dispose of Out-of-Adopted Textbooks with funds coming from the Operating Budget.
- Purchase of Locks/Hardware Replacement for Spring Creek Elementary and North Hamilton County Elementary totalling $16,992.00 for Spring Creek Elementary $11,615.00 for North Hamilton County Elementary.
- Non-Exclusive Contract for Instructional, Library, Office Materials & Supplies with funds coming from the Operating and School Budget.
- Non-Exclusive Contract for Instructional Computer Software with funds provided by the Operating and School Budgets.
- Non-Exclusive Contract for Medical/First Aid Equipment & Supplies with funds provided by the Operating and School Budgets.
- Contracts for the School Nutrition Program with funds coming from the School Nutrition Budget.
- Purchase EMS Control Equipment & Supplies from Electronic Controls, Inc. and Automated Logic.
- Annual Contract with Helton and Associates, Inc. for Asbestos (AHERA) and Other Indoor Air Quality Services, including Schedule of Fees for Engineering Services totalling $89,292.00.
- Property and Casualty Insurance Renewal totalling $2,617,504 for all lines of coverage representing a 1.5% increase from 2016.
- Contract Renewal with EBS Consulting for Employee Benefits and Risk Management totalling $6,951.00 per month for services.
- Service Agreement with ATI Physical Therapy for Lookout Valley High School for 2017-18 School Year totalling $1,500.00.
- Maintenance Renewal with SeachSoft for Applicant Tracking System (ATS) totalling $22,669.00 funded by the IT Department.
- Use and Maintenance Agreement with eSchool Solutions for Smart Find Express totalling $31,713.00 funded by the IT Department.
- Agreement with Educator Software Solutions for T-Eval Data Management Site totalling $36,000.00.
- Speech/Language Billing and Related Administrative Services Agreement with Stellar Therapy, LLC.
- Contract with Stellar Therapy Services, LLC to provide Speech/Language, Occupational & Physical Therapy Services not exceeding $1,989,972.00 with funds provided by Medicaid Reimbursement, IDEA Part B, and Ex Ed General Purpose Budget.
- Contract with City of Chattanooga Dept. of Youth & Family Development Head Start/Early Head Start Program.
- Contract with Nova Southeastern University totalling $24,100.00 withs fund provided by the General Purpose Fund.
- Contract with Orange Grove Center, Inc. for Educational Training of Students not exceeding $1,353,388.00 with funds provided from the General Purpose Fund.
- Contract with Orange Grove Center, Inc. for Work Training Placement Services totalling $30,000.00 with funds provided by the Exceptional Education General Purpose Funds.
- Request Approval of Contract with Parkridge Medical Centers, Inc., dba Parkridge Valley Hospital for Therapeutic Treatment Services not exceeding $20,000.00 to be paid with IDEA Part B funds.
- Contract with Signal Centers, Inc. for Special Education Services $666,287.00 to be paid with IDEA Part B Funds.
- Contract with Signal Centers, Inc. for Adult Services Program totalling totalling $10,000.00 with funds coming from the Exceptional Education General Purpose Funds.
- Memorandum of Understanding with Centerstone Mental Health Centers, Inc.
- Contract with Chattanooga State Graduation Diploma Completion Program totalling $175,176.00 from the Title I School support funds.
- Renew PPO Medical Reinsurance with Blue Reinsurance Insurance Company of Tennessee and HMO Medical Reinsurance with CIGNA totalling $325,000.00.
- Renew Contract with Harland Technology division of ScanTron for Maintenance & Support of ScanTools Scanners totalling $25,000.00 with funds coming from the General Purpose Fund.
- Annual Software Fee with Education Logistics for the EDULOG Software used for routing of school buses. MM.Request Approval of Contract with Mose & Garrison Siskin Memorial Foundation, Inc totalling $10,361.00 with funds coming from the Transportation budget.
- Ratification of Emergency/Early approval for Bid File 17-58 Foundation Underpinning and Slab Jacking Repairs at Westview Elementary, Barger Academy, and East Ridge High School totalling $156,993.00 for all three schools with funds to be provided by the 2016-2017 Capital Projects fund.
Business and Finance:
- Approval sought for the authorization to carry over school accounts payable for schools with outstanding contractual obligations. Sufficient funds are on hand to cover these obligations totalling $240,218.03.
- Approval is sought for a federal grant application for Title and IDEA services totalling $22,593,163.
Board approval is sought to amend the FY2-17 General Purpose Operating Budget with transfers between accounts for:
- Social Security, Retirement, and Teachers at East Ridge High School. No additional funds are requested, simply reallocation of approved funds.
- Approval is sought for the 2017-2018 Differential Pay Plan as is required by state law. There has been two changes from last year’s plan: 1) All references to the TIF School have been eliminated due to the end of the grant. Additional funds have been retained in the FY18 budget for performance/retention bonuses at current Priority Schools and 2) Because of the major cuts to Title-I and Title-II funding, references to additional days for Instructional Coaches have been removed.
Administrative and Business Matters:
- Board Policy 3.206 Community Use of School Facilities- First Reading: In order to allow school facilities to be used for memorial services, it is necessary to revise the board policy regarding the community use of school facilities. The addition to the current policy states that school facilities may be used for memorial services if approved by the principals. Funeral services are not to be held in school facilities.
- Approval is sought of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between HCDE and HCEA. As of result of collaborative conferencing, the professional development compensation has increased from $10 to $15 per hour, a 3% raise has been applied to the base generator of the salary scale, and a one-time $250 bonus has been allowed. The 3% raise and $250 bonus were previously approved in the balanced budget.
- Legal Services: For the month of May, a total of $27,133.50 was spent on legal services from Leitner, Williams, Dooley & Napolitan PLLC and Spears, Moore, Rebman & Williams.