In this edition of UnifiEd’s School Board Watch Blog, we will take a look at the agenda for the December 15th regularly scheduled session of the Hamilton County School Board Meeting. The meeting will be held in the Hamilton County School Board Meeting Room at 3074 Hickory Valley Road and is set to begin at 5:30 PM. We will live tweet @UnifiEdHC, follow along at #HCSchools.
To see the entire agenda with supporting documents click here.
- Second Reading of Board Policy 5.305 – Family and Medical Leave: Provisions are being added to the Family and Medical Leave policy that states an employee may submit any form of medical documentation to Human Resources to have leave authorized under FMLA. In addition, the School District is able to designate leave as FMLA under their discretion if they feel adequate medical documentation or information was provided to the District. This policy change provides an important area of clarification for the system regarding medical documentation.
- East Hamilton High School will participate in the competitive Honors Virtual Enterprise field trip.
- East Hamilton School, East Ridge High School, Lookout Valley Middle High School, Signal Mountain Middle High School, Red Bank High School, and Sale Creek Middle High School will participate in sports related field trips.
- East Hamilton School and Ooltewah High School will participate in music related field trips.
- Signal Mountain Middle High School will participate in a competitive science related field trip.
- Soddy Daisy High School will participate in a Forensics related field trip.
- Big Ridge Elementary and Spring Creek Elementary will participate in Math, Reading, and Science related field trips at Rock Eagle Environmental Center.
- Approval sought to extend the contract by 2 years with Praters, Inc. to repair, sand, and refinish gym floors.
- Approval sought for the purchase of 9 CPO lab kits to be given to the start up courses and 25 digital licenses to be used by Physical World Concepts Curriculum teachers. This will be for a total of $29,313.13 from the Consumables Budget.
- The Office of Accountability and Testing is seeking approval for the renewal of the Software Maintenance Subscription & Support contract with PowerSchool for a total of $121,429.47 from the General Purpose fund.
- Approval sought from The Howard School Principal and the Orchard Knob Middle School Principal for a contract agreement with Mastery Connect from their Federal Title I School based budget totalling $7,513.80 for Howard and $2,448.60 for Orchard Knob. Mastery Connect allows teachers to track TN ready standards, access and utilize teacher-created common formative assessments and participate in on-site/online professional development.
- Approval sought from the Director of Exceptional Education for a contract with Momentum Behavior Analysis to provide Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) services to students with disabilities. These services will be paid with Exceptional Education General Purpose funds totalling a maximum of $ 35,000.
- Recommended bid approval for JAT Oil Company for the purchase of motor fuel totalling $26,144.00.
Conferences and Consultants:
- Approval sought from the Principal at Notre Dame High School for a contract with A+ Education and Propel for $11,625.00 consultation for training in Coach evaluation and walkthrough process, $12,425.00 consultation for technology integration professional development, and $16,625.00 for instructional software modules, and parent support packets, from school based Federal Title I and Title II private school budget allocations.
- Approval sought for implementing Paths to College and Career curriculum (Paths) at Brainerd High School and all materials, understandings, and strategies needed for implementation totalling $48,000 funded through the Federal Programs School Improvement Grant pending State approval.
- Approval sought from the Principal at East Side Elementary to contract with Dr. Beverly Tyner to aid in literacy and professional development efforts for teachers totaling $1,800.00 from their school based Federal Title I budget.
- Presentation of the monthly financial report comparing budget to actual through October, 2016. The presentation of the monthly financial statement compares actual year-to-date expenditures to the original adopted budget and the year-to-date amended budget.
The following FY2017 budget amendments for the Pre-K State Grant Award and matching budget are recommended for School Board approval:
- Therapy Services Self-Funded Program, with a net increase of $300,000.
- Character Education Self-Funded Program, with a net increase of $26,482.
- Photography Self-Funded Program, totaling $400,000.
- Ochs-Oakes Self-Funded Program, totaling $2,250.
- Committed for Education Fund Balance, with $411,733 for Regular Instructional Equipment and $82,372 for Hardware/Software, totalling $494,105.
Second Reading of Board Policy
- Board Policy 5.305 – Family and Medical Leave: Provisions are being added to the Family and Medical Leave policy that states an employee may submit any form of medical documentation to Human Resources to have leave authorized under FMLA. In addition, the School District is able to designate leave as FMLA under their discretion if they feel adequate medical documentation or information was provided to the District. This policy change provides an important area of clarification for the system regarding medical documentation.
Administrative and Business Matters
- A summary of legal fees for services in October are $13,732.00 for Leitner, Williams, Dooley & Napolitan PLLC and $1,465.50 for Spears, Moore, Rebman & Williams, totalling $15,197.50.
- All certified and full-time classified employees were given an opportunity to vote on one of four calendar options for the 2017-818 school year. Draft 1 of the calendar received 54% of the vote, so Human Resources is encouraging the approval of the Board for this Draft.
- Dr. Lee McDade will recommend the approval of a name change for the district’s Preschool Assessment and Learning Services Center, located at West 40th Street, with support from The PALS Team and the Exceptional Education Department.The proposed new name would be the Amy Piazza Preschool Assessment and Learning Services Center in remembrance of Amy Piazza.
- The board will review a student’s zero tolerance suspension appeal decision per question of the student’s mother.
Important Dates and Events
- December 16th, 2016: Last day of Classes
- December 19th-30th, 2016: Winter Break
- January 2md-3rd, 2017: Teacher Professional Development
- January 4th, 2017: School Reopens
- January 6th, 2017: Report Cards
- January 12th, 2017: Board Agenda Work Session, Board Room 5:00 pm
- January 16th, 2017: Martin Luther King Day
- January 19th, 2017: Regular Session Board Meeting, Board Room 5:00 pm (5:30 pm if no Ex. Session)
- January 20th, 2017: Strategic Planning Session, Central High School 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- January 21st, 2017: Strategic Planning Session, Central High School 8:00 am to 12:00 pm