In this edition of UnifiEd’s School Board Watch Blog we will take a look at the agenda for the June 16th regularly scheduled session of the Hamilton County School Board Meeting. The meeting will be held in the Hamilton County School Board Meeting Room at 3074 Hickory Valley Road and is set to begin at 5:30 PM. We will live tweet @UnifiEdHC, follow along at #HCSchools.
To see the entire agenda with supporting documents click HERE.
- Community Eligibility Provision for the School Nutrition Program: The USDA required Hamilton County Schools to recalculate their Identified Student Percentage (ISP). The ISP determines the Community Eligibility Provision providing free or reduced breakfast and lunch to schools and students in need. Seven schools lost their funding from the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) for the 2016-2017 school year including: Allen Elementary School, North Hamilton County Elementary School, Sequoyah High School, Soddy Daisy Middle School, Hixson High School, Lookout Valley Middle/High School, and Snow Hill Elementary. There are still 39 CEP schools in Hamilton County.
Field Trips for the 2016-2017 School Year
- Tyner Academy, Sale Creek Middle/High School, Red Bank High School, Ooltewah High School and Brainerd High School will be attending sports related field trips.
- Central High School’s band class will be attending band camp at Berry College.
- East Hamilton High School’s Advanced Placement Students will travel to Orlando, Florida to attend the Disney Youth Education Series Program.
- East Hamilton High School will travel to Washington DC to study American History.
- Soddy Daisy High School’s Robotics Team will travel to Providence, Rhode Island to participate in the Marine Technology for Teachers and Students Summer Institute.
- Soddy Daisy High School students enrolled in JROTC will travel across Tennessee and Georgia to participate in competitions.
- The Brainerd High School Bistro contract for the Furnish Food Supplies bid awarded to Performance Foodservice for $22,056.99 (funding source: Brainerd High School Internal Funds)
- Recommended bid award for motor fuel to JAT Oil Company of $31,920.00 for the 2016-2017 school year (funding source: Warehouse Inventory Fund).
- Approval sought for a contract renewal with Property and Casualty Insurance Renewal from Tennessee Risk Management Trust. The insurance cost will increase by $6,776 per year bringing the total annual premiums to $2,579,602.
- Approval sought for a contract renewal with EBS Consulting for $6,951 per month for the 2016-2017 school year. This contact provides consultation services for Employee Benefits and Risk Management with no increase from the previous school year.
- Approval sought for a contract Renewal with PPO Medical Reinsurance of Blue Reinsurance Insurance Company of Tennessee and HMO Medical Reinsurance with CIGNA. This contract provides Stop Loss Insurance Coverage and will increase from $616,558 to $672,048.
- Approval sought for a contract renewal with GeniusSIS, Inc for the 2016-2017 school year. The Hamilton County Virtual School uses GeniusSIS as a database to enroll students, link students to online courses, report progress, track student-teacher and parent-teacher communication, maintain financial records, provide transcripts, and individual student academic dashboards needed for accountability reports. The contract renewal will cost $5,000 (funding source: Operations of Hamilton County Virtual School).
- Approval sought for a contract renewal with Educator Software Solutions for the continuance of hosting, maintaining, and providing technical support of our customized Project Coach website. The service costs will increase from $32,400 to $36,000 (funding source: The General Purpose Budget).
- Approval sought for a maintenance renewal for SearchSoft Applicant Tracking System. The Applicant Tracking System houses applicant and current employee data for HCDE employees and will cost $21,590 for the 2016-17 school year (funding source: IT Department).
- Approval sought for a contract renewal with Main Food/Non-food Bid File with IWC and the Sanitation/Chemical bid with Tennessee School Co-Op for the School Nutrition Program for the 2016-17 school year. The contracts will cost $87,739.20 in total.
- Approval sought for the annual software maintenance fee for EDULOG which is used for routing school buses and district planning. The total cost of this service for the school year 2016-2017 is $10,089.00 (funding source: Transportation Budget).
Purchases and Agreements
- Approval sought to purchase the Annual License, Maintenance and Support for the Student Activity Fund Accounting Software for 2016-17 school year. The purchase will cost $25,236.00.
- Approval sought for the Memorandum Of Understanding between the HCDE Division of Exceptional Education and Centerstone Community Mental Health Centers. The Memorandum will provide school based mental health services in Hamilton County schools for students exhibiting significant emotional and behavioral challenges. HCDE will not be asked to pay for or bill for any services. All funding is handled by Centerstone.
- Approval sought for an agreement with the City of Chattanooga Department of Youth and Family Development Head Start/Early Head Start Program. This agreement will establish working procedures between Hamilton County Department of Education and Department of Youth and Family Development Head Start/Early Start Program for the provision of services to preschool children eligible for special education in compliance with Federal and Tennessee State laws and regulations. No funds are needed or requested with this agreement.
- Approval requested for a contract with Nova Southeastern University for autism training, professional, and systematic development activities for exceptional education teachers and staff. The contract will cost $24,100 for the 2016-2017 year (funding source: General Purpose Funds).
- Approval requested for a contract with The Orange Grove Center. Funds for the 2016-2017 school year will be disbursed in 12 equal installments and will not exceed $1,339,188.10 for up to 45 students. An additional $4,000 will be required to cover additional one-on-one support for each new student (funding source: the Exceptional Education General Purpose Funds).
- Approval sought for an agreement with Parkridge Valley Hospital for Therapeutic Treatment Services. The cost of the contact will not exceed $25,000 (funding source: IDEA Part B Funds).
- Approval sought for a contract with Signal Centers. The cost of services is $718,545.30 to be paid in 10 equal payments with proof of services to serve up to 55 students (funding source: IDEA Part B Funds).
- Approval sought for a contract with The Signal Center Adult Services Program. Total contract not to exceed $12,000 (funding source: Exceptional Education General Purpose Funds).
- Approval sought for a contract with Mose and Garrison Siskin Memorial Foundation for the 2016-2017 school year. The costs of services are $516,800 to be paid in 10 equal payments with proof of services to serve up to 38 students (funding source: The Exceptional Education General Purpose Funds).
- Approval sought for a contract with Stellar Therapy Services to provide speech and therapy services as required by Individual Education Plans and supervised by Exceptional Education Administrators. The 2016-2017 funding should not exceed $1,989,972.00 (funding source: combination of funds from Medicaid Reimbursement, IDEA Part B and the Exceptional Education General Purpose Funds).
- Approval sought for a contract with Stellar Therapy Services for billing and related administrative fees related to Medicaid reimbursement for therapies and Board Certified Behavioral Analyst services. This contract will be at a rate of 20% of received Medicaid reimbursement with no additional funds needed (funding source: Medicaid Reimbursement Self Funded Account).
- Approval sought to purchase a 2016 Chevrolet Equinox vehicle from Off State Contract #209 (funding source: Transportation Budget).
Conferences and Consultants:
- Approval sought to hire consultants for The Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy to work with administrators and teachers to incorporate research-based instructional methods and best teaching practices. Hiring the two consultants will cost $35,364.00 for the 2016-2017 school year (funding source: Title I budget).
- Approval sought for a professional development program for seven teachers by the Manufacturers Skill Study Council. The professional development will cost $13,860.00 (funding source: CTE Perkins Grant).
- The Assistant Supervisor of Finance recommends that the Board of Education approves the outstanding obligations for carryover into the 2016-2017 year for items that were not received, were partially received, or invoices were not yet available totaling $235,066.98.
- Board approval is needed to amend the 2016 Fiscal Year General Purpose Operating Budget for the attached transfers between accounts. This amendment funds the first part of the teacher and school support device replacement. To see transfers between line items click here. No additional funds are requested.
- Budget Amendment Appropriation of Fund Balance for Stadium Repairs: Transfers between line items from the Unassigned Fund Balance of $913,600 to Capital Maintenance for stadium bleachers and repairs.
Grant Application Request:
- Request for the acceptance and approval for the Chattanooga State College Career and Technical Education Advanced Manufacturing Skills and Internship Program totaling $1,000,000 (finding source: Tennessee Higher Education).
- All references to the I-Zone have been eliminated due to the uncertainty of the grants continuance. If HCDE does receive additional I-Zone money the previously agreed-upon stipends will be honored.
- The Collaborative Conferencing agreed the unused sick-leave bonus for retirement notification on or before February 1st will increase from $30 to $40.
- The following educators are being recommended for reinstatement of tenure status for the 2016-2017 school year: Victoria Bryan, Christopher Closson, Robin Coffman, Douglas Greene Jr., Buffy Hughett, Laura Lewis, Jeffrey McKnight, Sarah Rivkin, Less Smith, Lisa Wilkes and Carmen Womack.
- HCDE accepted donations from Commissioner Discretionary Bond Funds for a reimbursement of $2,500 to purchase a school security system for Dalewood Middle School and a reimbursement of $7,435.61 to purchase books for Hillcrest Elementary School.
Second and Final Reading of Board Policies:
- Board Policy 1.108- Nepotism: Requires revision of the current board policy regarding nepotism in order to comply with current state legislative directives which includes declaring relationships to elected officials.
- Board Policy 5.203- Non Renewal: Requires written notice of non-renewal be hand delivered or sent to the employee registered mail that that it will be received by the employee within five business days following the last instructional day of the school year (revised from prior to June 15th).
- Board Policy 5.302 – Sick Leave: Requires revision of the current board policy regarding sick leave in order to comply with current TCRS regulations regarding sick leave bonus payments at retirement.
- Board Policy 6.701 – Solicitation and Fundraising: Requires revision of current board policy regarding solicitation and fundraising in order to accurately define fundraising activities and to include regulations regarding online fundraising.