In this edition of UnifiEd’s School Board Watch Blog, we’ll take a look at the agenda for the May 19th regularly scheduled session of the Hamilton County School Board Meeting. The meeting will be held in the Hamilton County School Board Meeting Room at 3074 Hickory Valley Road and is set to begin at 5:30 PM. We will be there live tweeting. Follow along on Twitter: @UnifiEdHC, #HCSchools.
- Second and Final Reading Board Policy 4.301: Field Trips and Excursions – This revised policy requires teachers to consider various factors when selecting field trips. The policy adds guidelines that must be followed when planning and conducting trips and excursions. For school field trips (day and overnight), groups must be accompanied by at least one certified employee for every fifteen students.
- Second and Final Reading Board Policy 6.409: Child Abuse and Neglect – This policy requires that if an offense occurs on a trip outside of the county, the report should be made to local Department of Human Services and law enforcement, as well as the Department of Human Services and law enforcement where the child resides.
To see the entire agenda with supporting documents click HERE.
On the consent agenda for Thursday’s meeting, the board is scheduled to approve:
- Brown Middle School, Central High School, CSAS, East Hamilton, Hixson High School, Ooltewah High School, Sequoyah High School, Signal Mountain Middle High School, and Lakeside Academy will be attending career and technical related field trips.
- Hixson High School and Ooltewah High School will be attending sports related field trips.
- Ooltewah High School, Signal Mountain Middle/High School, and Soddy Daisy High School will be attending camp related field trips.
- Total Building Maintenance for Normal Park Upper School Re-roofing for $331,291.00 (Funding source: Hamilton County Department of Education)
- RG & Associates to purchase toilet partitions for Calvin Donaldson Annex for $3,629.00 (Funding source: Capital Projects Fund)
- Electronic Controls, Inc. (ECI) of Chattanooga, TN for control upgrades at Red Bank Elementary School for $120,623.00 (Funding source: Capital Projects Fund)
- Callahan Mechanical Contractors, Inc. for Sequoyah High School HVAC renovation phase 2 for $387,400.00 (Funding source: Capital Projects Fund)
- Contract for the Instructional, Library, Office Materials and Supplies (Funding source: Operating and Schools Budget)
- Contract for P.E./Athletic Equipment & Supplies (Funding source: Operating and Schools Budget)
- Contract for Science Equipment Materials & Supplies (Funding source: Operating and Schools Budgets)
- Contract for Chartered Coach Service for student field trips (Funding source: Operating and Schools Budget)
- Contract for Instructional Computer Software Contract (Funding source: Operating and Schools Budget)
- Contract for German Reading & Teaching Materials Contract (Funding source: Operating and Schools Budget)
- Contract for Medical/First Aid Equipment & Supplies (Funding source: Operating and School Budgets)
- Purchase of Tennessee ACT vouchers SY 2016-2017 for $176,757.50 (Funding source: BEP funds)
- Renewal of the Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) Maintenance & Support contract for $15,438.36 (Funding source: General Purpose Fund)
- Harland Technology Maintenance & Support Contract for ScanTools Scanner for $25,000.00 (Funding source: General Purpose fund)
- IBM SPSS Software Maintenance Subscription & Support Contracts for $36,000.00 (Funding source: General Purpose fund)
- Renewal of the UNICOM Systems SPSS Software & Support Renewal $12,570.00 (Funding source: General Purpose Fund)
- Purchase of Pearson Assessment Order Justification for $35,204.25 (Funding source: Exceptional Education Department)
- Renewal of the Chattanooga State Graduation Diploma Completion Program Funding Title I School Support Funds for $184,879.00 (Funding source: HCDE)
- Approval to purchase a new chillar at Hixson High School for $112,896.00 (Funding source: Capital Projects)
Conferences and Consultants:
- ASCD Conference on Teaching Excellence for $6,660.00 (Funding source: Federal Title II Private School Budget Allocation)
- 2016 Institute for CTE Teachers for $34,620.00 (Funding source: Perkins Grant)
- Girls Inc. of Chattanooga for $9,750.00 (Funding source: 21st Century Community Learning Centers (21st CCLC) Program Grant)
- A+ Educators for $7,152.00 (Funding source: Federal Title II Private School Budget Allocation)
- PROPEL for $16,834.00 (Funding source: Federal Title II Private School Budget Allocation)
- Staff Development for Educators Differentiated Instruction Conference (SDE Differentiated Instruction) for $26,639.00 (Funding source: Federal Title II Private School Budget Allocation)
- Contract with Shirley C. Kilgore for $3,000.00 (Funding source: Federal Title I budget)
- Staff Development Workshops for $11,200 (Funding source: Federal Title II)
- The presentation of the monthly financial statement compares actual year-to-date expenditures to the original adopted budget and the year-to-date amended budget through March 31,2016.
- Federal and Self-Funded Budget Amendments: Transfers between line items for Title II Part, Teacher & Principal Training & Recruiting, Safe Schools Grant, Title III English Language Acquisition, 21st Century Community Learning Centers (Year 4, Dalewood Middle), Focus Schools, and IDEA Part B. The Carl Perkins Vocational Grant has a net increase of $62,033 as well as transfers between line items.
- General Operating Budget Transfers- board approval is needed to amend the FY16 General Purpose Operating Budget for the attached transfers between accounts.
Grant Application Request:
- Request for the acceptance and approval Federal Programs that will support 53 schools in Hamilton County. The funds will be used for: programs for students in poverty, students with english as a second language, and special education for students 3-21, in addition to paying for teacher and principal professional development totalling $24,144,245 (Funding source: U.S Dept. of Education).
- This is a request for two and one half new positions for the 2016-17 school year: one half-time, no benefits Assistant at Middle Valley Elementary School and two full-time certified positions to open the Mechatronics Akademie for 11th and 12th grades in August of 2016.
- Ratification of Renaming of Music Room at Sale Creek Middle/High School: The committee of stakeholders of Sale Creek Middle/High School recommends that the music facility at Sale Creek take on the name of the Ernestine Eldridge Music Room. Ernestine taught music and physical education at Sale Creek School for 25.5 years and coached basketball and volleyball for 15 years and is well known to her dedication to her profession.
Second and Final Reading of Board Policies:
- Board Policy 4.301 School Field Trips and Other Excursions: requires teachers to consider various factors when selecting field trips. The policy adds guidelines to be followed in planning and conducting trips and excursions. For school field trips (day and overnight), groups must be accompanied by at least one certified employee for every fifteen students.
- Board Policy 6.409 Child Abuse and Neglect: requires that if an offense occurs on a trip outside of the county the report should be made to local Department of Human Services and law enforcement, as well as the Department of Human Services and law enforcement where the child resides.
First Reading of Board Policies:
- Board Policy 1.108 – Nepotism: Request to revise the current board policy regarding nepotism in order to comply with current state legislative directives which includes declaring relationships to elected officials.
- Board Policy 5.203 – Non Renewal: Request to revise the current board policy regarding nonrenewal to add that notices of non-renewal shall be delivered to employees within 5 business days following the last instruction day of the school year.
- Board Policy 5.302 – Sick Leave: Request to revise the current board policy regarding sick leave in order to comply with current TCRS regulations regarding sick leave bonus payments at retirement.
- Board Policy 6.701 – Solicitation and Fundraising: Request to revise current board policy regarding solicitation and fundraising in order to accurately define fundraising activities and to include regulations regarding online fundraising.
2016-17 Tuition Rates:
- Recommendation for 2016-2017 tuition rate of $3,292 for out-of-county students (in-state of Tennessee) and $8,312 for out-of-state students. Out-of-county proposed tuition increased by $49 or 1.51% compared to last year; while the out-of-state proposed tuition increased by $97 or 1.18%.
Mechatronics Akademie – Memorandum of Understanding:
- Request for the approval of the agreement with Mechatronics Akademie, an industry skills certification program. The Mechatronics Akademie is a high school partnership program with Chattanooga State Community College, Hamilton County Schools and Volkswagen Group of America Chattanooga Operations, LLC that will have goals to increase student success.
School Resource Officer (SRO) Program:
- Request to re-establish the School Resource Officer Program for the period from August 1, 2016 through May 31, 2017.
Apison Elementary – Water Line Right of Way:
- Eastside Utilities is planning on the construction of a new 24 main water line that will extend past Apison Elementary. Eastside Utilities is requesting a 10 wide permanent easement and a 10 wide construction easement for the purpose of constructing and maintaining the water line.
Daisy Elementary Road and Pick Up/Drop Off Area:
- Request for the approval for the construction of a new road and pick up/drop off area at Daisy Elementary School for $554,368.78 (Funding source: Discretionary Funds).
- Budget Work Session: June 9, 2016, 5:00 PM, Board of Education
- School Board Meeting: June 21, 2016, 5:00 PM, Board of Education