In this edition of UnifiEd’s School Board Watch Blog, we’ll take a look at the agenda for the April 21st regularly scheduled session of the Hamilton County School Board Meeting. The meeting will be held in the Hamilton County School Board Meeting Room at 3074 Hickory Valley Road and is set to begin at 5:30 PM. We will be there live tweeting. Follow along on Twitter: @UnifiEdHC, #HCSchools.
Bullying/Harassment Policy: Second and final reading of Board Policy 6.304 – Student Discrimination, Harassment, Bullying, Cyber – Bullying and Hazing. The new policy includes procedures of filing reports of harassment and/or bullying and consequences for such behavior.
Superintendent Talks: UnifiEd with be presenting to the school board, and community, the findings from the 10 community discussions. A 5 page flyer will be given to all in attendance highlighting the top community priorities for the selection of a new Superintendent of Schools.
To see the entire agenda with supporting documents click HERE.
On the consent agenda for Thursday’s meeting, the board is scheduled to approve:
Separation Agreement for Mr. Rick Smith
- Hamilton County School Board has agreed to terminate the employment of Fred R. Smith as the superintendent of Hamilton County schools.
Recognitions and Presentations
- The Tennessee Teacher of the Year Program promotes recognition and appreciation for excellence in teaching. The Tennessee Department of Education recognizes the following as Teachers of the Year in Hamilton County: Diane Huseman, Grades K-5 – Nolan Elementary, Carrie Bishop, Grades 6-8 – Hixson Middle, and Kirsten Legac, Grades 9-12 – East Hamilton.
- The Tennessee Science Teachers Association (TSTA) continually promotes the development and advancement of science education. Ms. Shannon Seigle, teacher at the STEM School Chattanooga, has been selected the TSTA Science Educator of the Year, grades 9-12.
- The music teachers of Hamilton County schools request permission to recognize outstanding students who have achieved the tile of Tennessee All-State Musician.
- Request to recognize the Brainerd High School Boys Basketball Team for their participation in the 2015 and 2016 TSSAA Class 2A Boys State Basketball Tournament.
Approval of Consent Agenda
Executive Committee Report
- The Executive Committee of the Board may act on behalf of the full Board during the time between the Board meetings. The Executive Committee items submitted to me for the agenda packet for the period of March 4, 2016 through April 12, 2015 are included.
- East Hamilton County, Ooltewah High School, East Hamilton School, Sale Creek Middle/High School, Signal Mountain Middle/High School, Central High School, and Soddy Daisy High School will be attending sports related field trips
- Red Bank High and Calvin Donaldson Academy will be attending science related field trips
- Brainerd High School, Central High School, East Hamilton School, and East Ridge High School will be attending camp related field trips
- Chattanooga School for the Arts and Sciences – Upper School, Chattanooga School for the Liberal Arts, Loftis Middle School, and Lookout Valley Middle/ High School will be attending arts and culture related field trips
- Soddy Daisy High School will be attending JROTC related field trips
- Soddy Daisy High School will be attending band related field trips
- Adoption of CTE Classroom Instructional Resources
- Recommendation by the Local Textbook Selection Committee for the subject of Human Service to approve textbooks by McGraw-Hill and Goodheart
Business and Finance
- Request for approval of the first amendment to the agreement with Stellar Therapy Services, LLC Bid File 14-40 staffing to provide Speech and Language, Occupational and Physical Therapy services as required by Individual Education Plans and supervised by Exceptional Education Administrators for $20,000 (Funding source: current GP funds)
- Recommendation for tree local authorized dealers for MAC/iPad repairs – Desktop Solutions, Simply Mac and Stay Mobile to provide repair work on Apple devices which include replacement screens, power supplies, memory, and hard drive replacement, etc.
- Recommendation to use Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools E-Rate contract including a five year extension (Funding source: Hamilton County Schools)
- Recommendation for the approval of Schools Annual Publishers for 2016- 17 S.Y. (Funding source: advertisement sales, community contributions, and souvenir book sales directly to students and other interested parties.
- Recommendation for the approval of Giant Steps, a local vendor for musical equipment and repairs to provide repair work on music/band equipment which includes replacement parts
- Recommendation for the extension of the contract for Laminating Firm for an additional twelve-month period (funding source: Operating and Schools Budgets)
- Contract to furnish propane fuel at various locations within Hamilton County Department of Education as needed. Recommendation of award of bid to Suburban Propane, L.P (Funding source: operating budget)
- Contracts to furnish and install aluminum walkway covers and canopies. Recommended award of bid to Red Bank Aluminum (Primary) Bowman Alucolume Co. (Alternate) (funding source: Maintenance Budget and Capital Projects Fund)
- Contract to relocate portable classrooms. Recommendation award of bid to American Trailer Haul (Primary) Modular Technologies (Alternate) (Funding Source: Maintenance Budget and Capital Projects Fund)
- Recommendation for the approval for telecommunications cabling infrastructure installation for selected school sites for $278,516.55 (funding source: e- Rate category 2 filing and HCDE)
- Recommendation for the approval of the contract for routine roof repairs and replacement to JDH Co (Primary) (funding source: Maintenance Budget and Capital Projects Fund)
- Recommendation for bid award to purchase Roll-Thru Cooler, Pass- Thru Coller, Pass-Thru Warmers and Convection Ovens – Line Item bid for the Hamilton County School Nutrition Program awarded to Strategic Equipment (funding source: School Nutrition Budget)
- Recommendation to rebiu past the deadline for Commodity Pork Processing for BBQ because they were deemed to b e non- responsive casing the bid to be rejected for $52,800 (funding source: School Nutrition Funds)
- Request for the purchase of motor fuel for $20,137.60 (funding source: Warehouse Inventory Fund)
- Contract to furnish heating fuel at Hamilton County High School to Sweetwater Valley Oil Co. (Funding source: Operating Budget)
Conferences and Consultants
- Ratification of emergency/early approval for Apison Elementary School to pay June institute on the Teaching of Writing at the Teacher College, Columbia University in New York (Funding source: School Based Funds)
- Ratification of emergency/early approval for Ganns Middle Valley Elementary School to pay June Institute on the Teaching of Writing at the Teachers College, Columbia University in New York (Funding Source: School Based Funds)
- The monthly financial statement compares actual year-to-date expenditures to the original adopted budget and the year-to-date amended budget through April 31, 2016
- Federal and Self – Funded: School Improvement Grant, Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy Charter School (CGLA), with transfers between line items, School Improvements Grant IZONE Schools with transfers between line items, Therapy Services Self-Funded program (net increase of $280,243), Character Education Self-Funded Program (net increase of $80,000), Photography Self-Funded Program (net increase of $2,604), School Paid Positions Self-Funded Program with transfers between line items (net increase of $43,104), Ochs-Oakes Award Self-Funded Program (total: $2,250).
- General Operating Budget Transfers: Request to approve transfers between organizations in order to move budgets to provide for telephone services at Donaldson Annex and Donaldson Elementary, to complete the security camera installation and purchase iPads for Ganns Middle Valley. No additional funds are being requested.
- School Nutrition Budget: recommendation for approval of transfer between accounts. No additional funds are requested.
Grant Application Requests
- East Lake Academy: Project Diabetes for $450,00 (funding source: Tennessee Department of Health). The grant requests funds for fitness equipment and training, as well as nutrition and cooking classes in order to make physical activity and healthy cooking an integral part of life for residents of the East Lake community.
- HCDE Pre-Kindergarten Program for $2,675,505 (funding source: TDOE). The grant requests funds to pay the salaries for pre-k teachers and assistants, instructional materials and equipment, stipends, and educational field trips for students for 35 State funded pre-k programs.
- XQ Super School Grant for the Howard School for $10,000,000 (funding source: XQ institute). The grant requests funds to complete an application for a contest that will provide funding of more than $50 million to at least five promising new public high school models, offering each school about $2 million annually over five years.
Approval of School Fees
- Request for approval is needed in order to allow schools to charge fees to students with variation from grade to grade within the same building. Fees include; general school fees, parking permit, band related fees, graduation/senior fees, etc.
Second and Final Reading of Board Policies:
- Board Policy 6.304 – Student Discrimination, Harassment, Bullying, Cyber – Bullying and Hazing. Request to revise our current board policy regarding Student Discrimination, Harassment, Bullying, Cyber-Bullying, and Hazing. The new policy includes procedures of filing reports of harassment and/ or bullying and consequences for such behavior.
First Reading of Board Policies:
- Board Policy 4.301 – Field Trips and Excursions. Request by the Board Policy Committee to revise our current board policy regarding field trips and excursions. The new policy adds factors to consider when selecting field trips, guidelines to be followed in planning and conducting field trips and excursions and details that non-sanctioned field trips are not approved by the Board and are not considered a part of the curriculum.
- Board Policy 6.409 – Child Abuse and Neglect. Request by the Board Policy Committee to revise our current board policy regarding child abuse and neglect. The new policy adds that if an offense occurs on a trip outside of the country the report should be made to the local Department of Human Services and law enforcement, as well as the Department of Human Services and law enforcement where the child resides.
- Board Policy 6.701 – Solicitations and Fundraising. The new policy adds that fundraising involving students shall be kept to a minimum and serve only to provide for goods/services that enhance instructional programs. The policy also defined what a fundraising activity is.
Benchmark Athletic Trainer Service Agreement
- Benchmark Physical Therapy has provided an Athletic Trainer Service Agreement so that they can provide the services of athletic trainers to Hixson High School. The wording on the Service Agreement has been approved by the Risk Management department.
- Alpine Crest and Dupont Elementary rezoning, Barger Academy and Spring Creek Elementary rezoning, Central City Elementary rezoning, and North County Elementary Rezoning
Proposed Breakfast Meal Increase for 2016/2017 for HCDE Employees and Visitors
- Recommendation that meal prices be increased for the upcoming meal per the amounts listed; for HCDE Employees a proposed breakfast increase of $0.25 and for visitors an increase of $0.25
- May 27, 2016 – Last Day of School (Report Cards; No buses)
- Graduating Schedule
- May 12, 2016 – Board of Education Agenda Work Session
- May 19, 2016 – Board of Education Regular Schedule