In this edition of UnifiEd School Board Watch, we’ll take a look at the agenda for the June 18th quarterly session of the Hamilton County Schools Board of Education. The meeting will be held in the Hamilton County School Board Meeting Room at 3074 Hickory Valley Road. The Board Meeting is set to begin at 5:30 PM. We will be there live tweeting, follow along on Twitter: @UnifiEdHC, #HCSchools.
Items of Interest:
- Second and Final Reading of Board Policy 1.404: Appearances Before the Board: In December, UnifiEd launched a campaign for greater public participation and transparency in Hamilton County public schools. After campaigning for 6 months and building a strong community coalition, Hamilton County School Board voted to revise their Public Comment Policy. The revised policy will allow the public to address the Board by signing up to speak at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the meeting. The first 3 individuals who have signed in to address the Board will be allowed to speak for up to five minutes unless time is extended by the Board.
To see the entire agenda with supporting documents click HERE.
On the consent agenda* for Thursday’s Meeting the board is scheduled to approve:
Eduction and Leadership Support
1. Field Trips are scheduled for the following schools: Hixson High, Chattanooga High Center for Creative Arts, East Hamilton Middle/High, Hunter Middle, Ooltewah High, Red Bank High, Sequoyah High, Signal Mountain Middle/High, Sale Creek Middle/High, and Soddy Daisy High School
Business and Finance
- Recommended approval of contract renewal with GeniusSIS, Inc. ($100/month hosting fee and $3/enrollment), Public Consulting Group ($10,363.50), Chattanooga State Community College and HCDE for Diploma Completion Program ($184,560 from Title I funds), Maintenance renewal for SearchSoft Applicant Tracking System ($21,590 from IT Dept.), Stellar Therapy for Speech/Language Services Private and Home School Students ($236,961 from IDEA Part B and Preschool Grant), Orange Grove Center, Inc. ($1,339,188 from General Purpose funds), Orange Grove Center, Ing. Facility Work ($28,630 from Exceptional Education General Purpose funds), Property and Casualty Insurance Renewal ($2,521,369), and EBS Consulting (no change in cost from previous year)
- Ratification of Emergency/Early Approval for the construction of the new Ganns Middle Valley Elementary School ($29,414,000)
- Ratification of Emergency/Early Approval to construct an Indoor Practice Facility for Signal Mountain Middle High School (all funds provided by boosters club and private donations – no school funds utilized)
2. Conferences and Consultants
- SunGard National User Group (SNUG) Conference ($17,801 from General Funds)
- Staff Development for Educators (SDE) Differentiated Instruction Conference ($8,730 from Federal Title II Private School Budget)
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) ($9,809 from School Based Federal Title I)
- Stephen Adams, MD/Medical Consultant ($10,000 from Health Services)
3. Financial Reports
- Monthly financial report comparing proposed budget to actual expenditure through April 30, 2015
4. Approval of School Accounts Payable
- Clearing of all school contractual obligations – these items could not be paid prior to fiscal year end but sufficient funds are on hand to cover outstanding obligations
1. Approval of contracts for Geoenvironmental Consulting Services from July 2, 2015-July 1, 2016
2. Approval to utilize services on an as-needed basis from Engineering/Design/Profession Services
1. Board Policies
- Second and Final Reading of Board Policy 5.114: Personal Records: Revisions restricting the public from obtaining an employee’s personal information including home or personal cell phone numbers, personal accounts, residential information or driver’s license information; the previous information is also restricted for the employee’s immediate family or household members
- Second and Final Reading of Board Policy 5.301: Religious, Emergency and Legal Leave: Revisions allowing religious leave to employees for a maximum of two days annually and emergency leave to employees for a maximum of three hours to be taken for sudden, unexpected occurrences; leave beyond three hours shall be taken as personal leave, sick leave or leave without pay
- Second and Final Reading of Board Policy 5.501: Employee Grievances: Revisions to the submission process, fees and expenses, and hearing protocols for employee grievances
- Second and Final Reading of Board Policy 5.404: Evaluation Appeals: The Board has created a new Evaluation Appeals Policy to comply with the Tenn. Code Ann. 49-1-302 which requires the development of a local-level evaluation grievance procedure to provide teachers and principals to challenge the accuracy and adherence of the evaluation policies adopted by the State Board of Education
2. Homeschool Eligibility Rule TSSAA which allows home schooled students to participate in extracurricular athletics at member schools if qualifications are met (i.e. school fees and eligibility requirements)
1. New Position Request: Dalewood Middle School is requesting a Bible History class, this position will be fully funded by Bible in the School.
2. Differentiated Pay Plan: The differentiated pay plan is required by TN state law and intends to give local control to districts in regard to salary schedule. It creates another way for districts to attract and retain teachers based on a flexible set of potential criteria such as performance, teaching in hard-to-staff schools, and taking on additional instructional roles and responsibilities. The plan has not changed from the previous year, all components of the plan are contingent upon the availability of funding.
1. Teachers Recommended for Reinstatement of Tenure: In accordance with the Tenn. Code Ann. 49-5-504, the following educators are being recommended for reinstatement of tenure status: Jennifer Fields, Cynthia Jayne, Luronda Jennings, Patricia Kilbourne, Anthony Murphy, Niki Russel, and Daria Holly Wood.
1. Zero Tolerance Suspension Appeal Review by Board: A parent of a student is requesting a review of their child’s zero tolerance suspension appeal decision.
**(Consent Agenda) These items are considered to be routine and non-controversial by the Board and will be approved by one motion. If any Board member objects to including an item on the consent agenda then that item shall become a separate action item for discussion.